Enchiladas Suizas is a ridiculously delicious Mexican dish that’ll make your taste buds go wild! Picture this: juicy shredded chicken wrapped in soft corn tortillas, slathered in a zesty tomatillo sauce, and smothered with creamy sour cream and melty cheese. It’s the kind of meal that’ll have you coming back for seconds and licking your plate clean!
What are Enchiladas Suizas?
Get ready to indulge in the scrumptious delight of enchiladas suizas! These mouthwatering Mexican treasures are made with tender shredded chicken, wrapped in soft corn tortillas, smothered in a tangy tomatillo sauce, and topped with creamy, melted cheese. They’re so delicious and will leave you craving more.
Enchiladas suizas are the perfect choice for dinner because they’re a crowd-pleaser and offer a satisfying blend of savory, zesty, and cheesy goodness. Treat yourself to these heavenly enchiladas and prepare to be blown away by their deliciousness. They’re quickly becoming one of my favorite enchilada recipes and I know you’ll love them just as much.
Ingredients for Enchiladas Suizas
I know it looks like a lot of ingredients, but trust me, each one plays an important role in making the enchiladas suizas turn out perfectly flavorful and delicious. Check out the recipe card below for exact measurements!
- Tomatillos: These little green guys have a tangy and citrusy taste. Once cooked, they become soft and give the sauce its vibrant green color. If you can’t find tomatillos, you can also use salsa verde. Just make sure to omit the onions and chile peppers, as these are typically already added in.
- White Onion: Chopped into coarse pieces, the white onion brings a sweet and slightly spicy flavor to the sauce.
- Green Chile Peppers: These bad boys add the heat and a distinctive flavor to the sauce. After removing the seeds and cutting them in half, they contribute a mild spiciness that perfectly complements the other ingredients.
- Garlic: Whole cloves of garlic are used to infuse the sauce with their savory magic.
- Fresh Cilantro: This herb adds a fresh and zesty note to the sauce.
- Salt: The essential seasoning that brings out the best in every ingredient. It helps to balance the flavors and make them pop.
- Black Pepper: A touch of black pepper adds a subtle warmth and a bit of spiciness to the enchiladas suizas sauce.
- Cumin: This spice brings a warm and earthy flavor to the sauce. It gives it a unique aroma and also adds a smoky undertone to the taste.
- Corn Tortillas: These soft and flexible tortillas are the base of our enchiladas. They hold all the goodness together and provide a slightly sweet and sturdy foundation.
- Shredded Chicken: This is where the magic happens! Tender and flavorful, the shredded chicken takes the spotlight. It’s packed with savory goodness and adds a satisfying protein punch to our enchiladas.
- Sour Cream: Sour cream adds a velvety texture and a zesty kick to the enchiladas.
- Heavy Whipping Cream: Takes the creaminess up a notch and makes the sour cream mixture so rich and tasty.
- Monterey Jack Cheese: Say hello to the melty, gooey, and oh-so-delicious star of the show! It blankets the enchiladas, creating a golden and irresistible topping. Its creamy and slightly tangy flavor also pairs perfectly with the other ingredients.
- For Serving: I added a drizzle of Mexican crema, some chopped cilantro and red onions on top for a finishing touch.
Let’s Get Cooking!
Enchiladas suizas is a delicious hearty dish that will impress everyone. The homemade enchilada sauce really takes it to the next level and gives it the perfect flavor!
- Boil: To a large pot add your tomatillos, onion, chile peppers, and garlic. Cover with water and then bring to a boil. Boil everything for 10-12 minutes.
- Blend: Remove the tomatillos, onion, chile peppers, and garlic from the water and then place them into a blender.
- Season: Add the cilantro, salt, pepper, and cumin. Blend until everything is pureed and mixed well.
- Soften Tortillas: To soften the tortillas for rolling, wrap all your tortillas in a bundle with damp paper towels. Then microwave the bundle for 20 seconds.
- Preheat Oven and Baking Dish: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit then prepare a 9×13 baking dish by spraying it with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add Sauce: Once your tortillas are ready, pour ⅓ of your tomatillo sauce into the baking dish.
- Sour Cream Mixture: In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream and heavy whipping cream.
- Add Chicken and Cheese: Divide the shredded chicken evenly between the tortillas. Then sprinkle 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese in each tortilla and roll them up. Place each one into the sauced baking dish, seam side down.
- Layer: Pour the rest of the enchilada sauce on top of the enchiladas. Then pour the cream mixture on top of the enchilada sauce and sprinkle the remaining 1 cup shredded cheese on top.
- Bake: Bake for 20-25 minutes until the cheese melts and browns.
- Serve: Serve with Mexican crema, chopped red onions, chopped cilantro, and enjoy!
Tips for the Best Enchiladas Suizas
Get ready to take your enchiladas suizas to a whole new level with these awesome tips and variations. Spice things up or try different flavors to make your enchiladas totally delicious and uniquely yours.
- Roast the Tomatillos: For a smoky twist, roast the tomatillos in the oven or over an open flame before using them in the sauce. This will add depth and enhance their natural flavors.
- Homemade Tortillas: If you’re feeling adventurous, try making your own corn tortillas from scratch. Homemade tortillas can take the dish to a whole new level of freshness and authenticity. You can also try using flour tortillas if you prefer!
- Add Some Heat: If you’re a spice lover, amp up the heat by adding chopped jalapeños or serrano peppers to the sauce or as a topping. You can also sprinkle some crushed red pepper flakes for an extra kick.
- Switch Up the Cheese: Monterey jack is the go-to, but let’s think outside the box! Toss in some cheddar, pepper jack, or crumbly queso fresco to switch up the flavors of these enchiladas suizas.
Storing Leftovers and Making Ahead
Let your cooked enchiladas suizas come to room temperature and then transfer them to an airtight container. They’ll keep in the fridge for about 4 days!
- Freezing: Transfer enchiladas to a freezer bag and store for about 2 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
- Reheating: Cover your enchiladas with foil and then pop them in the oven for 10-15 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Making Ahead: Assemble your enchiladas suizas as stated in the recipe. Before you bake it, cover with foil and keep in the fridge for up to 24 hours. Then it’s ready to go, all you need to do is pop it in the oven!
To a large pot add your tomatillos, onion, chile peppers, and garlic. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Boil everything for 10-12 minutes.
Remove the tomatillos, onion, chile peppers, and garlic from the water and place them into a blender.
Add the cilantro, salt, pepper, and cumin. Blend until everything is pureed and mixed well.
To soften the tortillas for rolling, wrap all your tortillas in a bundle with damp paper towels. Microwave the bundle for 20 seconds in the microwave.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare a 9×13 baking dish by spraying it with nonstick cooking spray.
Once your tortillas are ready, pour ⅓ of your tomatillo sauce into the baking dish.
In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream and heavy whipping cream.
Divide the shredded chicken evenly between the tortillas. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese in each tortilla and roll them up. Place each one into the sauced baking dish, seam side down.
Pour the rest of the enchilada sauce on top of the enchiladas. Pour the cream mixture on top of the enchilada sauce and sprinkle the remaining 1 cup shredded cheese on top.
Bake for 20-25 minutes until the cheese melts and browns.
Serve with Mexican crema, chopped red onions, chopped cilantro, and enjoy!
Serving1enchiladaCalories269kcal (13%)Carbohydrates16g (5%)Protein15g (30%)Fat16g (25%)Saturated Fat9g (45%)Polyunsaturated Fat1gMonounsaturated Fat5gCholesterol61mg (20%)Sodium672mg (28%)Potassium270mg (8%)Fiber3g (12%)Sugar3g (3%)Vitamin A529IU (11%)Vitamin C6mg (7%)Calcium221mg (22%)Iron1mg (6%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.