This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Anything smothered with this flavor-packed cowboy butter will satisfy your tastebuds! Soft butter mixed with garlic, shallot, fresh herbs, and seasonings that take your butter up a notch. Enjoy on top of meat, slathered on bread, or melted on a baked potato.
Butter makes everything better! It’s the master of ingredients in the kitchen that I can’t live without. I have some incredible recipes you have to try with butter as the star of the show. Try these steak bites, this fish, or this delicious fried gnocchi with a brown butter sauce. You can thank me later!
What is Cowboy Butter?
Plain butter gets a whole new identity when it becomes cowboy butter! The addition of herbs, seasonings, and popular “cowboy flavors” enhance the taste of your butter and you won’t be able to get enough. The possibilities are endless and you’ll want cowboy butter melted on everything! This cowboy butter recipe is similar to compound butter, but even better!
Butter can take on the flavors of anything you add to it. It’s great for both savory and sweet recipes. And speaking of sweet recipes while we’re on the topic, here’s a sweet honey butter recipe you have to try! And for dessert, this butter pecan cake is a must because it also has a brown butter frosting. I’m telling you, butter can make some pretty incredible-tasting recipes!
Ingredients to Make Butter
Fresh herbs always liven up butter, but there are a few more key ingredients that make this cowboy butter amazing! It’s so simple and you will love the outcome. You can find measurements below in the recipe card.
- Butter: You will want to use unsalted butter, and make sure to set it out at room temperature for a few hours so it’s nice and soft.
- Lemon Zest and Juice: Citrus zest is a great way to liven up the butter! You could use lime instead, or go with a little lemon juice.
- Garlic: Garlic in your butter is a no-brainer, it’s so good.
- Shallot: Shallot adds a mild onion flavor to this butter.
- Dijon Mustard: Just a little Dijon to give it some tang.
- Parsley and Thyme: Fresh herbs add so much flavor to the butter! Experiment with other herbs like chives or rosemary. Any herbs would be delicious in this butter.
- Smoked Paprika: I like smoked paprika, but feel free to use regular paprika.
- Worcestershire Sauce: Adds to the cowboy flavor!
- Salt and Pepper: To enhance flavor. Coarse salt and pepper really add to the texture.
- Red Pepper Flakes and Cayenne Pepper: Both are optional but if you like a little heat it adds a kick to the cowboy butter!
Cowboy Butter Recipe
This cowboy butter recipe comes together so quickly! It’s an easy way to dress up your better and take it to a whole new level. Serve it at Sunday dinner or take it to a party with a loaf of sourdough and everyone will be impressed! Follow my easy step-by-step instructions below.
- Soften the Butter: Soften the butter and mince the fresh herbs before assembling the cowboy butter.
- Add and Mix the Ingredients Into the Butter: Add all of the ingredients to a medium bowl and mix until smooth and combined. The back of a fork works great but you can also use an electric hand mixer.
- Serve: Serve the butter right away, chill in the refrigerator, or melt it into a sauce.
- Enjoy With: Enjoy on your favorite meat, mashed potatoes, or slathered on top of rolls!
Here are a few simple ways to make your cowboy butter taste even better!
- Add Horseradish: Horseradish is commonly found in cowboy butter recipes. If you love horseradish, definitely add it in. Start with a small amount and adjust the amount to your preferred level of spiciness.
- Make it Cheesy: Stir in a tablespoon of grated Pecorino Romano or parmesan cheese for a rich and cheesy version of butter.
- Make it Spicy: If you want it even spicier, add a couple of drops of hot sauce. Spicy butter would be delicious melted on top of cornbread or especially this jalapeno cornbread!
- Melt it: Melt the cowboy butter and use it as a dipping sauce!
Storing Leftover Cowboy Butter
Cowboy butter is really easy to store. It is great to have on hand to use on recipes throughout your week. This butter is amazing smothered on corn on the cob, grilled chicken, or melt it on your baked potato.
- In the Refrigerator: Your butter will last for about a month in the refrigerator. You can pull it out to let it soften when you need to use it, it’s just best to keep it in the refrigerator because of the fresh herbs.
- In the Freezer: Store butter in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Pin this now to find it later
Soften the butter and mince the fresh herbs before assembling the cowboy butter.
Add all of the ingredients to a medium bowl and mix until smooth and combined.
Serve the butter right away, chill in the refrigerator, or melt it into a sauce.
Enjoy on your favorite meat, mashed potatoes, or slathered on rolls!
Serving: 1tablepsoonCalories: 105kcalCarbohydrates: 1gProtein: 0.3gFat: 11gSaturated Fat: 7gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.4gMonounsaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0.5gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 190mgPotassium: 31mgFiber: 0.2gSugar: 0.3gVitamin A: 428IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 9mgIron: 0.2mg
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.