Creamy sausage tortellini soup is thick and creamy with chunks of cooked pork sausage, carrots, buttery kale and three cheese tortellini pasta all cooked in a smooth tomato sauce. This soup will become an instant favorite!
Is there anything better than homemade soup on a chilly day? I especially love pasta-filled soups. They’re so hearty! If you love tortellini as much as I do try this creamy chicken tortellini soup, Tuscan garlic tortellini soup or tomato tortellini soup!
Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup
Tortellini soup is the perfect comfort food! Imagine a warm bowl filled with plump, cheesy tortellini pasta swimming in a creamy tomato broth. But wait, it gets even better – I’ve added some yummy ground pork sausage for a little extra protein and flavor. And for a touch of green, some fresh kale leaves add a pop of color, texture and most importantly- a boost of vitamins! This soup is sure to warm you up on a chilly day and satisfy your taste buds. Plus, it’s super easy to make.
All you need to do is throw all of your ingredients (most of which I’m sure you already have) in a pot and voila! You have a delicious, hearty soup that will rival your favorite Italian restaurants. You can even serve it up with some tasty homemade breadsticks to complete the meal with. This broth is perfect for dipping! Even though this creamy sausage tortellini soup has kale in it, the picky eaters in my family still love it. It’s that good! Looking for amazing homemade soups? See my full list of recipes here!
Creamy sausage tortellini soup is so simple to make and loaded with flavor. It has everything you need from meat to vegetables all cooked to perfection in a savory tomato broth. It’s the perfect combination! As the sausage tortellini soup is cooking, the flavors continue to build and infuse. One sip and you’ll be hooked! *Note: exact measurements can all be found in the recipe card below.
- Ground Pork Sausage: Try cooking this ahead of time for easy prep! Ground turkey also works if you want a leaner option.
- Vegetables: I sautéed the ground sausage with chopped carrots, onion, and garlic for the perfect texture and savory flavor.
- Italian Seasoning: Adds the best flavor! You can use prepackaged Italian seasoning or make your own blend using this recipe here.
- Flour: This will thicken up your soup base. Cornstarch also works if that’s what you have on hand! You’ll just need to use half the amount as flour, mixed with cold water and then added to the soup.
- Chicken Broth: This acts as the base of the soup. Vegetable broth also works!
- Tomato Paste: A flavorful thickener.
- Heavy Cream: A must for making this soup rich and creamy! Greek yogurt is another great substitute.
- Three Cheese Tortellini: Packs cheesy flavor into each bite! Both fresh and frozen tortellini work here. You may just need to add on a few more minutes of simmering time if using frozen tortellini.
- Kale: Adds a delicious texture and great nutrients to the soup. This can be swapped out with fresh baby spinach as well.
- Salt and pepper: Add to taste!
Make it Dairy-Free
Trade the cheese tortellini for a regular pasta like bowtie or penne and use dairy-free heavy cream or almond milk as a thickener. It will not be the same thickness and the taste will change slightly, but it’s still delicious and perfect for those avoiding lactose!
How to Make Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup
Making this creamy sausage tortellini soup is a breeze. Simply throw all of your ingredients together and then let the flavors meld on the stove! Want to set it and forget it? This soup can also be cooked in a slow cooker or crockpot on low for 6 hours. It’s the perfect meal to come home to at the end of the day!
- Sauté Pork and Vegetables: In a large pot over medium-high heat add the sausage. Then cook and crumble until brown. Once cooked, remove and set aside on a plate. Then add the carrots and onion and sauté until tender. Add in garlic and Italian seasoning and sauté for a minute more.
- Stir in Remaining Ingredients, Simmer: Add in the flour to the vegetables and pour in chicken broth. Then add in the tomato paste and stir. Next add in heavy cream and tortellini and bring to a simmer for about 7 minutes until the tortellini is cooked through. Add in the kale right before serving and salt and pepper to taste.
Creamy sausage tortellini soup is literally my favorite! It’s super simple to whip up and can be customized just as easily. Here are some variations to help make it your own!
- Meat: Change up your meat if you prefer turkey sausage, cubed chicken or ground beef instead!
- Cream: Heavy cream is best but if you are looking for a lighter substitute try half and half. Greek yogurt also works and adds some extra protein as well!
- Vegetables: Add in chunks of potatoes, mushrooms, zucchini or even bell peppers.
- Broth: For other flavoring try beef broth or vegetable broth. Use what you have on hand!
- Make it Spicy: For a spicier soup, try using a hot Italian sausage or adding red pepper flakes (¼ teaspoon to start out with) to the soup.
Storing Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup
This Italian sausage tortellini soup does so well made ahead and even frozen! As the soup sits together in a ziplock bag or airtight container, the flavors continue to meld and become more delicious. It’s so easy to reheat and makes the perfect comforting meal for chilly winter days.
- In the Refrigerator: Cook the creamy sausage tortellini soup leaving out the tortellini pasta if you are not serving it. Once completely cooled, add to a ziplock bag or airtight container and store in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
- Reheating: You can either thaw your sausage tortellini soup in the refrigerator overnight or simply add your ziplock bag to a bowl of hot water. Once thawed or taken from the refrigerator simply add the soup to a skillet or slow cooker. If you left out the tortellini, this would be a great time to add that back in and let cook for a few minutes before serving.
In a large pot over medium high heat add the sausage. Cook and crumble until brown, remove and set aside on a plate. Add the carrots and onion and sauté until tender. Add in garlic and Italian seasoning and sauté for a minute more.
Add in the flour to the vegetables and pour in chicken broth. Add in the tomato paste and stir. Add in heavy cream and tortellini and bring to a simmer for about 7 minutes until tortellini is cooked. Add in the kale right before serving and salt and pepper to taste.
Updated January 24, 2023
Calories456kcal (23%)Carbohydrates30g (10%)Protein18g (36%)Fat30g (46%)Saturated Fat13g (65%)Cholesterol95mg (32%)Sodium1388mg (58%)Potassium762mg (22%)Fiber3g (12%)Sugar5g (6%)Vitamin A6052IU (121%)Vitamin C51mg (62%)Calcium152mg (15%)Iron3mg (17%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.