Who would’ve thought that red cabbage slaw could be so dang tasty? Trust me, this stuff is delicious! Finely sliced red cabbage, matchstick carrots, and herbs tossed with a killer dressing made of olive oil, lime juice, honey, and garlic. It’s the perfect way to jazz up any dish.
Coleslaw is such a great summer side. It adds the best crunch and fresh flavor to any dish! You’ll have to try making this copycat KFC coleslaw next!
Red Cabbage Slaw Recipe
Red cabbage slaw is like a flavor explosion on the side! Seriously, don’t judge it by its name—this stuff is amazing. Just imagine finely sliced red cabbage, matchstick carrots, and some chopped green onion and cilantro all mixed together. It’s colorful, crunchy, and full of fresh flavors that you’ll love.
The best part about red cabbage slaw is how versatile it is. You can pile it on top of tacos, burgers, or sandwiches for an extra punch of deliciousness. It’s also the perfect side dish to serve with grilled meats or roasted veggies. And let’s not forget about the dressing—olive oil, lime juice, honey, and garlic come together to create a tangy and slightly sweet sauce that ties everything together. Whether you dig in right away or save it for later, red cabbage slaw stays fresh and tasty. You’re going to love having it on hand!
Ingredients for Red Cabbage Coleslaw
The key here is to use fresh ingredients so your red cabbage slaw has the best flavor. Once you have some fresh veggies on hand, all you need to do is whip up a simple dressing to bring out their tasty natural flavors!
- Red Cabbage: Finely sliced for a burst of color and a satisfying crunch. It also adds a mild, slightly peppery taste to the slaw.
- Matchstick Carrots: These are thinly sliced carrots that bring a hint of natural sweetness and a nice crispy texture to the mix.
- Green Onion: Diced green onion adds a fresh and mild onion flavor, giving the slaw a little kick.
- Cilantro: Chopped cilantro brings a refreshing and herby taste, making the slaw even more flavorful and bright. If cilantro’s not your thing, feel free to omit it.
- Olive Oil: This is the base of the dressing, giving the slaw a smooth and rich texture.
- Lime Juice: Adds a tangy and zesty kick to the slaw, balancing out the flavors and giving it a refreshing citrus taste.
- Honey: A touch of sweetness that helps to balance the tanginess of the lime juice, adding depth to the overall flavor.
- Garlic: Minced garlic brings a strong and savory taste to the dressing, giving the slaw some extra flavor. Garlic powder also works, but the overall flavor will be more mild.
- Salt and Pepper: These simple seasonings enhance the flavors of the slaw, making it taste even better with a bit of savoriness and a hint of spiciness.
How to Make Red Cabbage Coleslaw
Not only is this red cabbage slaw super light and delicious, but it’s so easy to make! It only takes a few steps of preparing your veggies and whipping up a simple dressing. Next time you need some tasty coleslaw, skip buying it from the store and make this instead. It only takes 5 minutes!
- Combine Veggies: In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, carrots, green onion, and chopped cilantro.
- Dressing Mixture: In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, honey, and minced garlic.
- Toss: Pour the dressing over the coleslaw ingredients and toss together.
- Season: Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving. Store refrigerated for up to 2 days.
Benefits Of Red Cabbage
- Full of Nutrients: Red cabbage is packed with heart-healthy vitamins and nutrients. I am a big believer in sneaking in all the vitamins and nutrients I can into the recipes I feed my family.
- Fights Inflammation: Cabbage is known to help fight inflammation and reduce accompanying symptoms, such as pain, swelling, and discomfort. Such a great food to add to your diet!
- Good For Your Gut: We all need more fiber in our diet. Cabbage is a good source of fiber, which keeps your gut healthy and helps digest foods more easily.
In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, carrots, green onion, and chopped cilantro.
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, honey, and minced garlic.
Pour the dressing over the coleslaw ingredients and toss together.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving. Store refrigerated for up to 2 days.
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.